The Stereo Triggered Sampler is a high fidelity, two-channel stereo sample recorder and playback module. The STS can record high quality stereo files, while simultaneously playing two different stereo files. A maximum of 600 samples can be loaded from the removable/swappable microSD card, in a variety of formats up to 96kHz/32-bit/stereo WAV. All sample parameters (1V/oct pitch, sample file selection, length, and start position) are CV controllable.
A maximum of 600 samples can be loaded at once, arranged into banks of 10 samples each. Samples and banks can be re-arranged on the fly using the simple on-board Edit features. Newly recorded samples can be instantly played back and re-pitched, reversed, chopped up, etc… the result of which can even be bounced down and re-recorded to as a new sample! Sample files are limited to 4GB each, which is over 6 hours at 44k/16b/stereo.
Two Stereo Playback Channels
Each playback channel has a knob and CV jack for Sample File selection, as well as a Start Position knob and CV jack for controlling where in the sample playback will begin. The Length knob and CV jack determine how much of the sample is played back: from tiny grains, to percussive hits, to longer loops… or just the entire file. These are powerful tools for re-arranging a sample, joining multiple samples, and creating dynamically re-sized loops within a larger sample. Combined with the Play Trigger jack and the 1V/oct jack, the STS can be two complete multi-timbral pitch-tracked stereo voices!
There’s also a Reverse button and jack for backwards playback, and an End Out jack for synchronizing loops, or cascading sample playback with other events.
Looping and Sync
Looping is easy: just hold the PLAY button down for two seconds to toggle loop or one-shot. The loop timing clock will output from the End Out jack. Or, send a clock into the Play Trig jack to sync the loop to external timing.
Whether you patched 47 modules to create the ultimate percussive blast, or you want to capture your four hour ambient performance, recording high-quality .wav files on the STS is simple. Just hit the REC button or fire a trigger and a new stereo .wav file will be created on the SD card. Do as many takes as you need: the STS never deletes your files. Re-ordering or re-arranging samples into banks is easy, even without a computer.
You can even fill a bank with 10 different variations and immediately use them for playback.
By default the STS records at 44.1kHz/16-bit, with an option for 24-bit (a future update may increase the sample rate to 96kHz)
Easy sample loading
Using a computer is completely optional with the STS, since samples can be recorded directly to the module and placed into the bank of your choosing. But for users with large existing sample banks, the intuitive automatic bank loading features make dragging and dropping your entire sample library a snap. You never have to rename your files again!
- Two independent playback channels
- Intuitive bank/color organization system– no need to rename your .wav files
- Record new samples directly to a bank
- Or, simply drag your folders of sound files onto the SD card: each folder will become a bank
- Folders starting with a color name will be loaded into that named bank (example “Blue – Frooty Loops” will load into the Blue bank)
- Up to 600 samples can be active in banks at one time (10 samples per bank)
- Maximum file size for playback or record: 4GB per file (over 6 hours per file at 44.1kHz/16b/stereo)
- Ships with a 32GB SD card, loaded with over 200 high quality samples from musicians such as Richard Devine, Wobbly, Moor Mother, Robert Aiki Aubrey Lowe, Joseph Pailo, Russell E.L Butler, Hugo Paris & Marc Kate, and more…
- Extremely quiet, low noise and low jitter design
- Stereo mode: Two stereo files are mixed together and played at once through the L and R output jacks (L+L and R+R)
- Mono mode: each file is mixed down to mono and output through the channel’s output jack (L+R and L+R)
- Each channel has controls for:
- Sample CV and knob: select which sample (1-10) within the channel’s bank
- 1V/oct CV and Pitch knob: playback pitch (-4 to +5 octave range)
- Start Pos CV and knob: position in the sample to begin playback (loop start point)
- Length CV and knob: playback time (loop end point)
- Length at max: entire file is played
- Length >50%: 200ms – 5s of the sample is played (beginning at the Start Position)
- Length <50%: Percussive decay envelope is applied to the playback (attack-only envelope if playing Reverse)
- Length <1%: Tiny grains are played (can be used to sweep through sample file data manually)
- Reverse button and trigger jack: toggles forward/backwards
- Bank button: selects channel’s bank (holding Bank and turning the Sample knobs allows for fast selection of bank)
- Recording channel:
- Record stereo audio into any bank and sample slot
- REC button or a trigger REC jack starts and stops recording
- Files are never deleted, but only the most recent take will be automatically assigned to the current sample slot (the Edit features allow you to manually browse all the recordings, and assign them to banks and sample slots)
- Recording can be disarmed to prevent accidental recordings
- 44.1kHz/16-bit default recording quality, optionally select 24-bit
- SD Card is hot-swappable: no power-down required to change SD cards. Samples that are pre-loaded into memory can continue playing while card is swapped.
- As new features are developed, firmware can be updated by playing an audio file into the STS
145 mA +12V
39 mA -12V
0 mA 5V
25 mm deep