The Pit Viper’s circuit can generate clean, beefy signal boosts. However, its true strengths lie in aggressively screaming distortions with a tangible character. – This is not a module for wimps!
Although the Pit Viper has a raw look, the module was built with much love for detail. The OP amp (TLC2272) can be exchanged for other models. Unused soldering points on the circuit board allow musicians who are dissatisfied with the rather erratic behaviour of the viper to replace the hand-rolled optocouplers with precision components. – Please note: Such modifications void the warranty!Pit Viper comes equipped with the following control elements:
- Toxicity: Gain potentiometer – Please turn up for heavy distortion.
- Hiss: Tone knob – Turn clockwise to cut the treble.
- Venom: Volume potentiometer
- Fear: Three-stage soft clipping switch – Activates normal soft clipping or a more tube-like version with less treble.
- Malice: Three-stage hard clipping switch – Activates beefy hard clipping or a spongier version with less treble.
- Blend: Dry / Wet potentiometer
- Bite: CV input plus attenuator to cut the high frequency range. Without a cable plugged in, the knob can be used for adjusting the treble manually.
- Saturation: CV input plus attenuator and on/off switch to influence gain and saturation.
- Filter: CV input plus attenuator and on/off switch to control the Viper’s VCF circuit. Via a jumper on the circuit board, users can choose between several filter types:
- Passive clipped low pass
- Unbuffered high pass
- Buffered high pass
- Buffered low pass
Furthermore, there is a trim potentiometer on the circuit board, which can be used to adjust the gain.
Finally, one important note from the manual: Please keep the Viper away from cats! – If there is not a cat in your studio, please adopt a four-legged friend!
Scratches on the front panel are part of the Pit Viper’s design!
Audio input and output
CV inputs for bite, saturation and filter parameters
12 HP wide
35 mm in depth
35 mA at +12 V
25 maA at -12 V